About Me

My photo
I am your typical 24 year old teacher and graduate student.I have the world by the (well, let's keep this P.G.) I have the world at my fingertips. But one thing that is not on my side, is my ZAFTIG figure. What is Zaftig you may ask? Zaftig(yiddish word): definition: Having a full, rounded figure; plump. So take this journey with me as I blog about my challenges, triumphs, healthy alternatives, working out and more!

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

What goes through the lips, ends up on the hips


Bigger snacks mean bigger slacks.  ~Author Unknown


I have the best Jewish family; a loving mother, father, sister, brother and Nana and Poppy. There were always two things that I was never denied: love and food. I remember the days where I would have slumber parties at my grandparents and loved every minute of it (still do). But, my favorite thing to do was venture off to WaWa with Nana and Poppy where we would get their branded chocolate peanut butter ice cream. It became a staple for every visit. However, as years went on, I think I had too much of that "staple" food, and not enough of my peas and broccoli.
     It became apparent that a diet was in the cards for me, and it was no longer a happy poker game, but time to give up the sweets.
    I have always had Nana and Poppy's unconditional love, but with that, in a Jewish family, comes a little tough lovin'. Nana still offered me food even after a meal, but Poppy caught on to the fact that Zaftig was not an attractive look for a young woman.

     "What goes through the lips, ends up on your hips"was now the staple statement whenever our family got together (coined by my Poppy). And most people would be upset, most people would be annoyed, but I find it to be words of wisdom. Don't ever deny what your grandparents say, because in my experience, they have a 99.9999 percent rate of being accurate.  AND Guess what?! Poppy was right! I ate, and my hips grew! Who knew?


Signing off,
The Zaftig

No comments: